Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

You are not connected. Please login or register

stuck on what car to go for next help!

5 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1stuck on what car to go for next help! Empty stuck on what car to go for next help! Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:53 pm

Paul R

Paul R
Youngster
Youngster

Hi all i need some advise basically after nearly 3 years of ownership ive been looking into selling the zetec s and getting another car. If i could keep the zetec s aswell as another car i would as i will be pretty sad to see it go as ive loved every minute of owning it.
but i just fancy abit of a change so the past few months have been filled with test driving loads of cars, trawling through the internet every night on ebay, pistonheads, autotrader etc and generally making myself more comfused by the day lol

im on my ninth test drive so far ive driven

honda civic type r ep3
racing puma
clio 197 f1 team r27
normal clio 197
fiesta st prefacelift
fiesta st facelift
mk2 focus st225
mk1 focus rs
mk5 golf gti

there are good and bad points to them all and things i will miss that the zs did so well so im abit stumped really. I really like the clio 197's as there fun like the zs but i want to stay in the ford scene really so im getting rather tempted by the focus st but abit concened about the fuel they drink, but then i think i only do like 10k a year and live with my parents still so what does it matter?

has anyone got any suggestions to make my mind up lol i would be really gratefull Very Happy

Matt

Matt
Admin
Admin

What your budget? here is my opinion!

Well I can say from experience (coming from the clio scene etc) I would stay ford, the clios are really fun but there is no point tuning them as it costs mega money and they never hit book power... along with them ebing a high insurance group etc etc...

The Ford racing pumas are great if you can afford to refurb brakes yearly and shocks every few years! parts are hard to find for them! personally unless you can afford to have two cars I wouldn't bother! I test drove one a few eeeks back and loved it but it I couldnt see past all the s**t to go with it.

The ST is very easily tuned as they are restricted from new and they are only insurance group 13, you are more than welcome to come out in mine for a spin and even have ago mate! I may sound abit bias because I own one, but I test drove alot of cars before I bought it! I.e. mini cooper S, 172's 182's 197's etc etc and it came up trumps! Its cheap to mod its a great car to drive!

The Mk1 Foucs RS is a good choice and Cawsey (jamie) off here will back it up but it depends on budget cracking car but i wouldn't spend less than 10K on one and they also drink the fuel and have high running costs etc.

Ep3's are dull to drive i.e. steering is like a wet fish IMO they are expensive to insure but I have only driven one for a short while, overall a nice car but i would stay ford Razz

I the focus ST 225 would bea good choice and its down to how you will drive the car which will use your fuel up.

Personally I would recommend looking for a focus ST225 or a facelift Fiesta ST

Paul R

Paul R
Youngster
Youngster

yeah i was turning a few of those points in my head i did love the puma to bits but im basicaly paying 3x what my cars worth only to have to exact same problems if not more and its getting on to the roughly the same problems if i brought an rs aswell.

so its got to be a newer car even tho ive always loved older cars, i was wondering towards the two st's i must admit and my budget is around 11k sorry never thought lol

the focus was awsome i must admit and it sounded like gods plumbing lol its quite abit heavyer tho so its not as chuckable as a smaller lighter car.

i will make my mind up aventually lol

thanks for the offer about your st the first one i drove the sales guy didnt come with me for some reason lol its so much better testing a car on your own as you can think about it more.

Paul R

Paul R
Youngster
Youngster

make that 10 cars now i drove another focus st thismorning Cool the guy let me drive it out on my own too so that was a bonus.

cossietaff

cossietaff
Noobie
Noobie

i would agree with matt but i am biased too, i agree defo on the ins groups and modability of the fords, ie focus st being more expensive and heavy on fuel but easily modded and spares becoming ready available, the fiesta st reacts well to sensible mods and produces good power for a small car to start with, can i have a go in yours matt, you can drive mine mate

Paul R

Paul R
Youngster
Youngster

yes im sort of conserned about the extra weight the focus st has as i will most probably lose the fun and chuckability that my zs has

cossietaff

cossietaff
Noobie
Noobie

i dont know mate the st handles very well indeed and is comfortable too

Paul R

Paul R
Youngster
Youngster

yes they do handle well can certianly feel all that extra weight though most of it is the volvo lump up front lol

cossietaff

cossietaff
Noobie
Noobie

never driven a fiesta zetec s but i find it hard to believe it would be better than an st i wll have to try one??

10stuck on what car to go for next help! Empty Re: stuck on what car to go for next help! Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:45 am

Paul R

Paul R
Youngster
Youngster

its mainly down to the drive of the 2 as theyre two completly different cars

mine is allot lighter, more simplistic so it gives you a sort of go cart feel and i think that gives you the illousion that im your faster if you know what i mean.

with the st its more of a allrounder its got the comfort, quietness and kit for long journeys but when you need it power and handling there too. the st is sort of the opposite because its heavyer you get less of a sense of how fast your going even if you are going faster.

im going to look at another focus st tommorrow in red Smile

11stuck on what car to go for next help! Empty Re: stuck on what car to go for next help! Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:55 pm

Paul R

Paul R
Youngster
Youngster

just tested the red focus st and really liked it, im gonna get my dad to have a look at it at some point.

12stuck on what car to go for next help! Empty Re: stuck on what car to go for next help! Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:32 pm

owl

owl

No red

13stuck on what car to go for next help! Empty Re: stuck on what car to go for next help! Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:32 pm

Paul R

Paul R
Youngster
Youngster

what lol i like red ither that or orange but there are loads around in that colour

14stuck on what car to go for next help! Empty Re: stuck on what car to go for next help! Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:08 pm

cawsey20

Noobie
Noobie

Obviously im going to say RS lol,, They are awsum motor's but as everyone has said, Its all about budget ! .. You wont get a decent mk1 for less than 10k i was lucky finding mine but it was near enough 10 lol..

It is alot of money to spend on an 02/03 car but you dont see any about Smile..

St would be a good choice there deffonatly highly tunable but again its all down to personal opinion really Smile , Quite happy to take you for a spin at some stage

15stuck on what car to go for next help! Empty Re: stuck on what car to go for next help! Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:10 pm

cawsey20

Noobie
Noobie

Reading back, I was stuck between the ST and the RS .
I went for the RS in the end simply because of the weight .. The St's are lovely cars but just soo common , Very comfy and spacious and yer they drive nicely . But the feel and the preciseness of the RS is just way better !
Once you get past it's mad torquesteer lol.

16stuck on what car to go for next help! Empty Re: stuck on what car to go for next help! Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:12 pm

Paul R

Paul R
Youngster
Youngster

hi mate cheers for the reply im still trying to make my mind up really. what are the rs's like for rust i noticed the arches arent to bad on the one i looked at but on the floorpan i could see the rust staining through the underseal like on mine.

thanks for the offer of the ride is yours a standard one?

17stuck on what car to go for next help! Empty Re: stuck on what car to go for next help! Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:47 pm

cawsey20

Noobie
Noobie

Yer no worrys mate just tell me when you are free Smile..

Dont have any atall Smile .. If you find a decent one thats been cared for or garaged you probably wont have much of an issue its the last thing i have to worry about at the moment ,, Have a cambelt and tyre change coming up o and service which is expensive regardless of what car you have lol !

18stuck on what car to go for next help! Empty Re: stuck on what car to go for next help! Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:29 pm

Paul R

Paul R
Youngster
Youngster

ok ill have to let you know on that cus im all over the place at the mo.

whats yours like on fuel, ive heard theyre relativly simular to the focus st

19stuck on what car to go for next help! Empty Re: stuck on what car to go for next help! Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:31 pm

cawsey20

Noobie
Noobie

Shit lol ! i think the St are worse to be fair,, It all depends on your driving style..
At the end of the day anything 2litre plus with a turbo bolted to it you cant excpect toyota prius YUK ! fuel economy lol..

You get what you get really..
You can get around 250 miles to a tank but with normal driving i get around 200 and costs about 60 quid to fill.
So all in not bad ,, I use that a week as on average i do 200 miles .

Theyre reliable motor's you hardeley ever here of problems with them , Not major anyway and 90percent of the parts are normal focus.
Servicing is the same , cambelt is the same

Just diff, turbo etc but again knoone on the forum seem's to have a problem ! ..

Ive seen a couple that have done like 150k without many issues lol..

You wouldn't regret getting one, It depends if you like attention or not !

20stuck on what car to go for next help! Empty Re: stuck on what car to go for next help! Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:17 pm

Paul R

Paul R
Youngster
Youngster

ok cheers mate im not to worried about the fuel i was just trying to see what its like compared to the st

21stuck on what car to go for next help! Empty Re: stuck on what car to go for next help! Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:16 pm

cawsey20

Noobie
Noobie

From what iv'e heard better Smile the 2.5 is meant to be a little thirsty Smile

22stuck on what car to go for next help! Empty Re: stuck on what car to go for next help! Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:17 pm

cawsey20

Noobie
Noobie

possibly monday night im free if you want to meet up ?

23stuck on what car to go for next help! Empty Re: stuck on what car to go for next help! Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:42 pm

Paul R

Paul R
Youngster
Youngster

ah sorry mate ill be in wales then doing some work for me gran and im not to sure when ill be back i know itll be before the christmas meal tho

24stuck on what car to go for next help! Empty Re: stuck on what car to go for next help! Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:27 pm

cawsey20

Noobie
Noobie

Yer hold it till then Smile,, Il be attending soo its all goood Smile

25stuck on what car to go for next help! Empty Re: stuck on what car to go for next help! Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:34 pm

Paul R

Paul R
Youngster
Youngster

ok cool

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum